As our society advances, education is rapidly changing. New paradigms of teaching as well as modern resources have appeared on the horizon leading to a new age of education. At ISNA Elementary School we believe in a blended approach. Through modern technological platforms, our e-Learning program is very vibrant and has been successful ensuring a high level of student engagement leading to academic success.
In adopting 21st-century educational practices in technology, ISNA schools’ THINKTech initiative paves the way towards enlightenment by preparing students for the future, today. ISNA Elementary has become a Google School where each and every student has a Chromebook with staff continuously incorporating various Google Apps into the learning process. ISNA schools is a pioneer amongst Islamic Schools in Canada to adopt this 21st-century educational practice since 2011. It hopes to become an exemplary school to help and guide other Islamic Schools.
Read about our Thinktech initiatives:
- Our students from JK -8 have Chromebooks, One-to-one computing allows teachers and students to leverage new opportunities for personalized instruction and learning.
- Students from JK-5 have Chromebooks charging carts in their classrooms and are able to integrate technology into every subject.
- Students from grades 6-8 are loaned school provisioned Chromebooks to take home and are expected to use these devices — both in and out of class — to read, write, create, communicate, collaborate and research.
- Our teachers are given devices as well to incorporate technology into classrooms.
- Each class has interactive projectors installed in the classrooms.
- Many staff has become Google Certified Teachers in the process and more are becoming certified by September 2015 to become a student-focused educator school.
- Teachers use these apps to deliver their lessons, check assignments, especially docs and forms, and Google classrooms.
- We incorporate Web-based productivity, collaboration, and communication tools for teachers and students — Google Apps for Education tools are used.
- Students from grade 1 to 12 have Gmail accounts and can access GAFE which allows accessing student learning within a secure online collaboration platform provided and managed by the ISNA Schools. GAFE offers unlimited online file storage and is to be used for educational purposes along with other Google Apps tools. These tools are accessible from any device that has access to the internet.
- Student accounts are part of a school controlled domain with Websense web security systems. Parents have full access and it is inclusive, transparent and safe.
- We emphasize the importance of digital citizenship with our students.
- ‘Screen Time’ we monitor our student's screen time and Chromebooks come with a sleep schedule. As Chromebooks can also be a big distraction, our IT team monitors and blocks gaming, social media, and other inappropriate websites for student safety.
- Communicating with Parents: Thinkwave is a platform that we use to provide parents with stronger connections to their child’s learning through online tools for greater visibility and interactions. Viewing and reporting student attendance, viewing student progress, enhancing communication between teachers and parents, and sending digital report cards are a few examples of online communication with parents.
- To view the student handbook of Thinktech Initiative please click here.
- ISNA’s e-learning platform was promptly launched on Monday, March 23, 2020, with all staff prepared and well- equipped to deploy their e-learning program immediately. Teachers of all grades from JK-8 have taken to Google Classroom and Google Meet to engage students in the learning process.
Here is a brief breakdown of the program:
1) IES e-Learning Overview (presents the overall program arrangement)
2) IES e-Learning Sample Lesson (shows what a sample lesson would look like)
3) IES e-Learning Program Update Week 3